EXCLUSIVE: Five Questions With Skales

Skales signs with Baseline Music

Former E.M.E act, Skales has been the subject of several stories in recent times.

First, it was about his exit from Empire Mates Entertainment. Then news broke that he had started his own record company called 'OHK records' which he followed up with the release of two cool joints, the club banging song, 'Shake Body'
and 'Obi.'

By then, those who thought the music star was done for by leaving E.M.E had to think again as soon after, he signed on to Baseline
Records while still maintaining the leadership of his newly-formed label. It got even better for Skales as Timaya announced the arrival of 'Skales' brand new 2014 Ford Edge via Instagram a few days back.

In a recent No-holds barred interview with 'Popularity Bar,' Skales, born and raised in Kaduna to a Cameroonian father and Edo State-born mother, opened up on quite a few interesting things.

Q: How did you hook up with your  
     long-time manager, Osagie
     Osarenkhoe?

I met Osagie in 2009. I used to go to
KnightHouse Studio back then when I wanted to record my first single. She saw me rapping and asked me to give her my number. We started talking, she hooked me up with stuff and helped out but she wasn't managing me, so I begged her to manage me but she was busy with Kel and Wizkid at the time.

I think I went to perform somewhere else again then, Banky W, Segun Demuren , saw me and they were like ' Who is this dude, we just keep
seeing him, who is he with?' They became interested and began making enquiries about me, I went to another show where Banky performed, I killed it but nobody
knew who I was, they didn't even know my name. It was only Wizkid who knew me because we met at KnightHouse. Wizzy started talking with me and we became cool friends.

One day I got a text from Wizzy, it
read, 'EME wants to sign you.' I asked him if it was a joke but he said 'for real' [and said] I should hit up Osagie. I hit up Osagie and we
started working together. It took us like almost six months to negotiate because I was scared. I don't believe in depending on anybody, I do things myself.

Q: So would you agree you signed
     with EME because you didn't
     have the financial capacity to
     move your career forward?

That's what happened at the end of the day… I didn't even have a choice. But it took us time because we had to negotiate, then I had issues with my old manager and I had to let him go, then I begged Osagie and finally she agreed. That was how we started working till now.

In 2011 when Wizkid dropped his debut, did you feel pressured at that time, knowing you were next up? The funny thing is I never ever felt pressured, the only time I felt pressured was when I was being delayed. I was just worried that a lot of people were waiting for me to get out there. I dropped ' Mukulu' after Wizzy's album and got buzzing, I wanted to drop another single to support an album release but what I heard was 'Yo! You need to wait, EME album is next' . I wasn't cool with that but I didn't have any option. I never actually felt
pressured when Wizkid was succeeding because I knew that if he made it, I could make it too.

Q: What is the difference with you
     being independent and under a
     label?

I think now I make my own decisions and know that this is actually what I wanted to do. And not wait for somebody to actually
say 'No, change it this way', or do something that benefits them more than me. You see, now I just drop a song and I am confident of the song because this is exactly what I
wanted it to sound like. I want to make my own decisions and face any consequences that come with it. But right now since I started, my stuff nothing has actually gone bad.

Q: Do you still run your own label?

Yes I do, I am actually now a recording and performing artiste under the label, Baseline but also a CEO of 'OHK Entertainment'….

Do you have a story for publication?
Send your press releases/articles to; exclusiverawnaija@gmail.com

Subscribe to BBM Channel-: C002C4E41
Facebook-: http://facebook.com/exclusiverawnaija
Twitter-: @rawnaija_gist
Via BBM-: 7F3D59F8

Share on Google Plus

About ExclusiveRawNaija

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments: